On mission with God in Madrid
by Jan Johnsonius
Jan Johnsonius is an IMB missionary in Madrid, Spain, who recently spent her stateside assignment in Augusta, Maine. Jan and thousands of others are able to serve as fully-funded missionaries around the globe, thanks to your gifts to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and the Cooperative Program.
When we think of missions, often our minds go to the "typical" location of Africa, Asia or even South America. Yet some of the least-reached peoples in our entire world are just across the Atlantic on the continent of Europe! People that look a lot like people in New England, live a lot like people in New England and are desperately lost …. a lot like people in New England!
In Madrid, Spain, which is located closer to New England geographically than any other part of the European continent, less than ½ of 1 percent of Spaniards have a personal relationship with Christ. It is difficult and hard soil, but the 6 million people who call Madrid home are urgently in need of the peace and joy only Christ can give.
In these few lines, it is difficult for me to truly paint an adequate picture of the spiritual need, and what God is doing among the lives of urban professionals in this European mega city. To give you just a snapshot, our small team in Madrid is:
- Prayerwalking the streets of this mega city
- Connecting with neighbors, shop vendors and other people in our neighborhoods
- Sharing life and sharing the Gospel through the activities we are involved in, including Life Coaching, Sports Camps, Hospital Chaplaincy, English Conversation Groups, Cultural and Arts Excursions, Hiking the mountains of Madrid (with a Golden Retriever Hiking Group, no less), Gospel Choir, Movie Forums, Sports Complex activities and exercise classes, Seminars for Business Professionals and Medical Professionals, Cooking and Baking groups
- Starting seeker Bible studies and small groups in coffee shops, sidewalk cafes and homes
- Partnering with Spanish believers in all these endeavors, especially in starting new church plants among professionals and university students
New England, perhaps more than any other area of the U.S., has a “way of life” and “mindset” connection with the secular Europeans, that makes you uniquely able to pray and partner with us as we reach out to Spaniards. Perhaps this is the time for you to consider adopting a barrio/neighborhood of Madrid, partnering with us in prayer or even sending a vision team to see and get to know the people of Madrid. We’re your neighbors across the pond, and we would love to partner together for the Gospel! Contact me at email@example.com.