NEXT STEPS FOR CHURCH PLANTS
These are the steps for church plants in the specific order necessary to be fully recognized by the BCNE and the SBC.
- The plant must have developed enough leaders for the signatures necessary to file the Church Constitution and Bylaws with the state. Start Church should assist the planter with this.
- The church must begin Cooperative Program giving. This can be a check given by a person on behalf of the church or by using a church specific email at BCNE Online Giving.
- The church must "launch" by holding regular gatherings for worship. This can be a soft launch of regular gatherings with a core group to be followed by a public launch at a later date, but a Bible study does not qualify.
- The church must file a request for an SBC ID number through BCNE.
- To request coverage under the SBC 501c3 Non-Profit Umbrella, please write a gracious email to Morgan Roettele (firstname.lastname@example.org) stating that you are an approved BCNE church plant and are requesting coverage under the SBC 501c3 Non-Profit status. Morgan will contact the BCNE office to confirm that your church has completed the above steps and will issue a 501c3 letter to your church.
- The 501c3 Non-Profit Umbrella letter can be used along with your other state documents to open a bank account.
- Contact www.guidestone.org to set up your Retirement, Disability & Life Insurance. The BCNE grants each church in good standing (which includes giving over $500/year to the Cooperative Program) benefits for their pastor.
- We also recommend that you register on line with your state for an EIN (Employer Identification Number) which you may need to set up a bank account. A State Sales Tax Exemption number can also be requested at the state government website.
- Once you are established you will want to contact LifeWay for complimentary materials: newchurches.com/offer
Any questions? Ask your Church Planter Catalyst or Joye Jackson at email@example.com.