Why do people kill themselves? How do I ask someone if they are feeling suicidal? What do I do if they say they ARE suicidal? How do I deal with the strong emotions suicide generates? Tough questions.
This course will provide answers for questions many crisis interventionists have about suicide and will help participants participants develop practical skills for prevention, intervention and postvention. Small group role plays will allow participants to apply the suggested techniques as they are learned.
- Common myths about suicide
- Risk factors for suicidal behavior
- Frequent motivations for suicide
- Problem solving methods
- Effective intervention strategies
- Elements of effective postvention
- Elements of survivor grief
- Community referral sources
- "Mini-lecture" on suicide
- Feelings and reactions of suicide survivors
Dr. Naomi Paget will lead the course. She is a 49-year volunteer with the American Red Cross, a Mission Service Corp. Missionary (SBC/NAMB) and a 32-year veteran of Southern Baptist Disaster Relief.
Schedule is from 1:30 - 8:30 p.m. Friday (dinner included) and 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Saturday (lunch included). You will be responsible for finding your own housing on Friday night. You may contact the Rice Lodge to check for availability.
For more information contact Grant Davis by email at email@example.com or by phone at 508-393-6013 x228.